WE’RE BACK in a brand new home.
Same awesome experience, beautiful new home with a view.
We are a group of like-minded partners with a vision driven by community. We will deliver a venue to gather, create, connect and celebrate safely.
We are all feeling the devastating effects of this global pandemic, losing many of the community events and venues we utilize for social gatherings. Well, now is the time to reconnect safely. In order to adapt, and thrive, we need the “new normal” to be full of hope and creative solutions that connect us. Ironically, the best place to start is a classic format with a modern twist. We bring you, The DRIVE-IN.
An entertainment experience with all the traditional amenities you love and expect from a drive-in, with the technology of today. Giant LED video screens provide exceptional cinema day or night, while large format concert lighting and special FX will provide an augmented live experience for special events.
This event space is built by our community, for our community. Many of our city’s greatest live entertainment events and venues are suffering, in danger of never returning and in need of our immediate support. B!G ART and our partners will collaborate with these organizations to bring entertainment back to Calgary and give arts and culture a new, temporary home.
See you at The DRIVE-IN
A classic drive-in experience will set the stage for something new, because this simply won’t be enough to breathe life back into this format. We are experts in immersive environments, changing the everyday into the extraordinary. With the use of special FX, large format concert sound and lighting, and live action actors, we will deliver an interactive cinematic experience never before seen in Calgary. Imagine choreographed pyrotechnic explosions perfectly timed to intense action scenes, blistering sound at the front of your vehicle, CO2 effects producing clouds of colour, a motorbike cruising behind you at full throttle. Now stop imagining. Calgary has the talent and technology to make this a reality when community and creative production partners collaborate for a greater cause.
Technology is who we are — it’s what we do. Officially known as the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we’re a community of thinkers, creators and champions leading change and reimagining the workforce of tomorrow.
A new home is coming….soon.
A DRIVE-IN entertainment venue, built by community for community. Private booking inquiries: email@example.com
Thursday, Aug 11
STAY TUNED FOR FILM AND EVENT RELEASES IN JUNE
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there COVID-19 restrictions in place?
We are following all current AHS recommendations for venues of this nature, we take the health and safety of our staff and moviegoers very seriously. Please consult the list of rules & regulations which can be found here.
What time can we arrive for our selected showing?
3:00pm showing – doors open at 2:00pm
6:00pm showing – doors open at 5:00pm 9:00pm showing – doors open at 8:00pm
Can I bring a lawn chair, or get out of my car to watch the film?
Yes…but. With restrictions lifted, we now permit our guests to view the show from outside of their vehicles. We even have a patio area to support the use of public transport, pedal power and the shoelace express.
Please do not bring more than simple, folding, temporary seating. Anything more than that will hinder your neighbours’ experience. Remember, simple is best.
Do I have to wear a mask outside of my car?
No. We do not require masks anywhere on site at this time. Please check back regularly for more information.
Can we sit in the bed of our truck or the back of our van?
Yes. If you would like to back your vehicle into place, please drive carefully and let our parking staff know ahead of time.
Will I be able to see the screen from anywhere in the venue?
Yes. our nearly 40 foot screen can be seen clearly from any of the parking stalls However, based on the size of your vehicle you may be placed in a specific area to improve the viewing experience of all moviegoers. We will do our best to create a magical experience, but please keep these limitations in mind when viewing all films.
What is my admission good for?
Your admission is good for one vehicle with up to 5 people. In the case of families with small children exceeding 5, with the proper amount of seatbelts, we may make exceptions. However, management reserves the right to refuse admission.
When are you open?
We are open every day from August 11th to 21st with the exception of private events. Consult the tickets section for show times and other hours of operation information
What time do movies start?
Please check each movie event for specific gate times and movie times. Typically films start at 3pm, 6pm and 9pm from. All events can be found in the tickets section
Can we pick a stall?
Staff will guide you to your stall, on a first come, first serve basis. We suggest you arrive early. If you are in a larger vehicle you may be placed near the back of the venue.
Do you show films in the rain?
Yes. The film will play rain or shine. Please dress appropriately for the weather. No refunds will be issued in case of rain.
Can we walk or ride our bikes to the movie?
YES! We , we encourage you to walk, run, ride your bike, take public transport or a ride share service. Check back regularly for more information on our “patio” section.
How do you get sound for the movie?
The movie audio will be transmitted by FM radio directly to your car. Typically, we use 94.3FM but the exact station will be displayed on the screens before the start of the movie, and given to you upon arrival. If you purchase “patio” tickets, small speakers will be used at the front of the stage.
Can I buy tickets at the door?
You can buy your tickets from our online platform at any point from a mobile device up until the film has completed. So, just buy your ticket before you hit the gate, and you’re good.
What about the guys in the trunk?
They don’t have to pay as long as they stay in the trunk…with the lid closed all night. But seriously, nobody in the trunk please.
What if my car battery dies?
Just ask an usher and we will give you a boost.
Can we bring our pets?
At this point in time we are not allowing pets based on the rules in place at the venue. Please check back for more updates as we get closer to show time.
Can we bring snacks?
Yes, feel free to bring your own snacks BUT we ask that you support SAIT by purchasing food and beverage items from the onsite concession. You can order items in advance through the online ticketing platform or there will be a concession’s link you can access during the show to receive food to your car. You order will be delivered to your vehicle shortly after. Check back regularly for links to our food and beverage vendors.
How late is the concession open?
The concessions will take orders until 8:00 PM on the early show and 10:00 PM on the late show.
Can we purchase food and beverages on site?
Yes! There will be a concession’s link you can access during the show to receive food to your car. We will also have walk-up service during specific showtimes. Check your ticket info for more details.
Are there washrooms?
Yes, but they are limited and temporary.
Can I leave at any time?
Unless it is an emergency, we ask that you please stay for the entire experience.
Can we bring our camper/RV?
Due to the limitation of the parking lot, campers and RVs will not be permitted. Some exceptions may apply for smaller conversion vans. Management reserves the right to refuse entry of these vehicles. Keep in mind, you will be placed near the back of the venue in order to maintain sight lines for smaller vehicles.
Can I bring alcohol or cannabis?
No. Leave it at home. Driving while under the influence is illegal. Some special events may include designated alcohol and cannabis consumption zones. Check the details of each special event.
I have friends arriving later. Can I reserve a spot next to mine for them?
Every parking spot is first-come, first serve, and you will be placed by an usher. If you wish to park together, please arrive together. Keep in mind, we will place vehicles according to their size.
Can I leave my car running?
Please refrain from running your vehicles unless absolutely necessary.
Can I get a refund?
NO REFUNDS ARE GIVEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. In the event of show cancellation by management due to severe weather, mechanical breakdown or unforeseen circumstances prior to showtime, with less than 60 minutes of run time on a single feature, or during the first feature of a double feature, a full refund will be offered. Tickets are non-transferable and management reserves the right to refuse entry.
All sales are final and no refunds will be given unless the showing gets cancelled
Don’t see your question here?
It takes a village.
Calgary is home to some of the best entertainment production suppliers in Canada, founded and developed by Calgarians and employing hundreds of families in our city. They put Calgary on the map as a mecca of production technology with innovative, creative, and professional work. Each partner has been carefully selected for their contribution to the production services sector, as well as the community. We have the talent, technology, and professionalism to produce a safe, innovative world-class entertainment experience right here in Calgary.
Rules and Regulations
Terms and Conditions
Participation in Live Events has risks and hazards including risks associated with the novel coronavirus and COVID-19 including property damage, illness, personal injury, and even death. As a participant in this Event, I agree to have my guests, or anyone who attends in my vehicle as part of my cohort, read and agree to the following information.
- I acknowledge and voluntarily assume all the risks, including legal risks, and hazards that arise from my participation this Event. I waive my right to commence a legal action against the Big Art Drive-in, Big Art, or SAIT if I, or any of my children, family members or guests, suffer any damage, illness, injury, loss or death from participating in this Event. I further waive any claim I may have against the Big Art Drive-in arising from my participation in this Event, however it is caused, and I agree to indemnify and hold harmless RISE UP, Bird Creatives, and Big Art Drive-in from all claims arising from my participation in the event.
COVID-19 Specific Rules
- DO NOT COME TO THE EVENT IF YOU ARE SYMPTOMATIC, HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN INFECTED OR SOMEONE WHO IS SYMPTOMATIC, HAVE TRAVELLED OUTSIDE OF CALGARY RECENTLY, ARE STILL IN QUARANTINE, RECENTLY RELEASED FROM QUARANTINE, AND/OR BELIEVE YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO COVID-19. This is for everyone’s protection. Please be responsible.
- There are temporary washroom facilities on-site, sanitized in accordance with current AHS guidelines. However, public washrooms are considered a high-risk facility for infection, so please refrain from using these facilities unless absolutely necessary. Please follow all posted rules and regulations and maintain physical distancing. Masks are mandatory at all times when using these indoor facilities.
Standard Rules and Regulations for Guests
- KEEP YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE. It is your only proof of paid admission. Barcodes must be produced when requested by staff. Individuals entering the site by means other than ticket gate are trespassers; their entire party will be evicted without refund.
- THE SPEED LIMIT is 5 km/h, before moving your vehicle, please check immediately before and after to be sure the area is clear of people and objects from you and your neighbour’s vehicles. Wait for the lights to come up to full brightness so you can see more clearly and be watchful for other guests and staff.
- VEHICLE LIGHTS must remain off during the experience. Parking lights are acceptable when parking or exiting after dark. However, headlights and daytime running lights must remain off once the experience begins.
- INTERIOR LIGHTS are a distraction to others (including pick up truck bed lights), please limit their usage, this also applies to other light sources such as media players, infotainment systems, mobile device screens, other digital device screens, and accent lighting. Be sure to uncover or reactivate your lights before exiting.
- When PARKING your vehicle, please be sure you park at least 2m from the next vehicle. Ushers will help you find your designated spot. If you’re driving anything larger than a conventional car, please check to be sure you are not blocking the view of a previously parked vehicle near you. If in doubt, be polite and ask. Management reserves the right to assign your position for any reason. A fire safety lane has to be maintained around the site, do not park anywhere other than your designated spot.
- PATIOS – If you are utilizing our “patios,” place your blankets and chairs inside the fenced area and do not hang any items on the fence. Do not leave children unattended. Do not bring any coolers, portable stoves, or other “camping” style equipment with you. These spaces are meant for a chair with accessories and personal items. Dress weather appropriate for patios as they do not have any coverings. Some events require patios to be 18+ only due to alcohol service, please have your ID ready upon arrival. We do have the right to turn minors away for 18+ patios.
- Persons are not allowed upon the roof of vehicles.
- NO CASH REFUNDS. Passes will only be given upon OFFICIAL CANCELLATION of scheduled events BEFORE the experience is completed as a result of the loss of electric power, severe fog, or other unforeseen weather conditions or equipment failure.
- Keep your radio tuned to the FM station listed on the screens. This information will also be available on the website and social media channels. If you elect to play your own music before experience, you must keep the volume down so as not to disturb other patrons. This applies in particular to subwoofers.
- NO ALCOHOL, CANNABIS OR ILLEGAL DRUGS IN ANY FORM. If we witness usage or anyone disrupting others that appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you will be asked to leave the site immediately. Calgary Police Services will be called at our discretion.
- EMISSIONS – Vehicles emitting excessive fumes may be asked to leave the site. We reserve the right to have you turn off the vehicle or re-position you to another area if you run your engine during the movie for heating or air-conditioning, and we receive complaints from others around you. Vehicles with fuel leaks may be asked to relocate or leave the site at management’s discretion. We understand you may need to run your vehicle from time-to-time in order to stay warm or cool, so please use common sense and restraint. Idling vehicles pollute the air.
- Insurance regulations PROHIBIT OPEN FLAMES from guests of any kind. Items such as candles, fireworks & sparklers are forbidden.
- NO VULGAR or PROFANE LANGUAGE nor LOUD VOICES, as this is a family atmosphere.
- PETS ARE PROHIBITED.
- Laser pointers are prohibited, their use will result in ejection from the site—no shining of any lights on-screen during the experience.
- Please refrain from using your car horn, as we are located in a residential area.
- Video recording and photography of the on-screen experience is prohibited. Film piracy is a federal crime; if caught, you will be reported to the authorities. When deemed legal, and appropriate, by the experienced promoter, you may record the on-stage experience. Please refer to the website for more information on a particular experience.
- Please dispose of your trash properly in waste receptacles. In order to avoid excess trash from these experiences, we ask you to use biodegradable and/or recyclable containers and take them home with you.
- VANDALISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. Vandalism and willful acts of destruction will result in expulsion from the site without a refund; Calgary Police Services will be called at our discretion.
- SMOKING IS PROHIBITED.
- IN GENERAL, SIMPLE COMMON SENSE AND COURTESY WILL PREVAIL- WE CONSIDER “YOUR VEHICLE TO BE YOUR CASTLE” PLEASE RESPECT YOUR NEIGHBOUR AND OUR PROPERTY.
Ticket Terms and Conditions
Your use of this ticket constitutes an acknowledgement of your willingness to appear in photographs and videos taken in public areas of the venue, releases The DRIVE-IN, and all affiliates, from liability resulting from the use of such photographs or videos and grants The DRIVE-IN, and all affiliates, the unrestricted right to produce, reproduce, publish, broadcast, communicate, distribute, adapt and otherwise use or reuse photographs and videos, without further compensation. Bearer of this ticket voluntarily assumes all risks and damages incidental to visiting the venue for which the ticket is issued.
NO REFUNDS ARE GIVEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. In the event of show cancellation by management due to severe weather, mechanical breakdown or unforeseen circumstances prior to showtime, with less than 60 minutes of run time on a single feature, or during the first feature of a double feature, a full refund will be offered. Tickets are non-transferable, and management reserves the right to refuse entry.